DISTRICT NEEDS BASED SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
1.0 Introduction & Objectives
An overwhelming majority of youth eligible to attend higher education institutions in Uganda is from poor and deprived families. In addition to this there are inequitable opportunities for Higher Education in Uganda that would enable this group to continue with their studies. In addition to this, the financial need for higher education is, perhaps, a remarkable actor to make the bright and studious students to leave their studies uncompleted or, even worse, not to get admission at all in the institution of their choice. Nkumba University is responding to this challenge by introducing need based scholarships to eligible students in Uganda.
The scholarship will enable 5 needy young people from each of Uganda’s districts to pursue their undergraduate education at Nkumba University.
The objective is to provide equal opportunity for the talented students who are disadvantaged and are incapable of meeting part of the cost of their higher education at Nkumba University. This program will help in increasing the University’s enrollment as well as provide training and learning opportunities for disadvantaged students who will as a result have better job and business opportunities after completing their education.
2.0 Eligibility Criteria
1. Financial assistance & scholarships are available for study at undergraduate level in the following prescribed disciplines at both Nkumba University Main Campus and Kampala Campus:
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Procurement & Logistics Management
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Public Administration & Management
- Bachelor of Law
- Bachelor of Social Works and Social Administration
- Bachelor of International Relations and Diplomacy
- Bachelor of Development Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism
- Bachelor of Arts with Education
- Bachelor of Petroleum Management
- Bachelor of Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Hotel Management and Institutional Catering
2. Students need to have secured admission in the approved disciplines at Nkumba University before applying for the scholarship.
3. Only those students who have completed A-Level in the last three years prior to the application are eligible to apply.
4. The eligibility of a candidate is linked to neediness of the candidate as determined and assessed by their area LC 1 and LC 3 Chairpersons.
3.0 How to Apply
1. The eligible students can get a Scholarship Application Form from the
2. Academic Registrar’s office or at their respective District Education and/or Municipality Offices. The application form can also be downloaded from the University’s website.
3. The Scholarship Form is supposed to be submitted along with supporting documents only at the District Education and/or Municipality office after endorsements by their respective LC 1 and LC 3 Chairpersons.
4. Candidates are required to first get admission in any one of the above approved disciplines at Nkumba University.
5. All Districts and Municipalities of Uganda are included in this initiative.
4.0 Amount of Financial Support
The program will support the eligible students at Nkumba University by paying 600,000/= of tuition fee per year during the entire period of study.
5.0 Terms and Conditions
1. Application forms are available from the Academic Registrar’s Office, the District Education office, Municipality Education Office and can also be downloaded from the University website.
2. The submitted application and supporting documents of the potential candidate shall be reviewed by the District Education Service Committee with a representative of Nkumba University present.
3. The recommended cases shall be presented to the University Scholarship Management Committee (SMC) for a thorough review and final approval.
4. The scholarship recipients shall be informed of the University’s decision by the Academic Registrar.
Nkumba University – Need based Scholarship Application Form.
1. Fill in the form using capital letters
2. Read the application carefully
3. Complete the application form with the required information
4. Make a photocopy of the application for your own records
5. Submit completed form to the District/Municipal Education Officer after endorsements from your area LC1 and LC3 Chairpersons respectively.
Providing false information may result in one or all of the following actions by Nkumba University against you:
1. Cancellation of your admission to the University
2. Expulsion from the University
3. Disqualification for award of any future scholarships
4. Refund of all payments of the scholarship received
5. Initiation of criminal proceedings
6. Students must be admitted to Nkumba University to be considered for this scholarship.