SCHOOL OF SCIENCES
Who We Are
The School of Sciences (SCOS) at Nkumba University is one of the schools among the six schools that presently make up Nkumba University. SCOS aspires for academic excellence by offering relevant scientific knowledge and skills in research, teaching and public service for sustainable development. It is providing academic staff and students with the opportunity to understand the physical and natural world in order to discover answers to the complex problems in the broader areas of life, physical and environmental sciences. SCOS focuses on practical application of sciences in natural resources, in hospitality industry and also in applied sciences, hence offering enormous opportunities in developing a work force with a strong science foundation.
The school comprises of three departments and One Institute; namely:
- Department of Hospitality
- Department of Natural Resources Management
- Department of Applied Sciences
- Institute of Nursing and Midwifery
Quick course Search
Browse through the courses offered
- Ph.D. in Public Health
- PhD in Natural Resources Management
- Master of Science in Environment Health
- Master of Science in Natural Resources Management
- Post graduate Diploma in Environmental Impact Assessment
- Bachelor of Science in Wildlife & Forestry Management
- Bachelor of Science in Petroleum and Geo-sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Tourism Operations Management
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel Management and Institutional Catering
- Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness
- Bachelor of Science Public Health
- Diploma in Tourism Operations Management
- Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering
- Diploma in Petroleum and Geo-Sciences
- Diploma in Agribusiness
Advanced Certificate in Hotel and Tourism Operations
Studying at Nkumba University
“I have had lovely experiences here. I’ve made great friends. met helpful lecturers from Nkumba University and have started to appreciate Ugandan culture. I encourage everyone out there to come study here at Nkumba University.”
Bachelor of Business Administration | 3rd Year
More Information about the Schools
The school that began with two programmes in Hotel and Tourism Operations, has progressively grown. It now boosts of accommodating three departments and one Institute. The departments include Hospitality, Natural Resources and Applied Sciences.
Institute of Nursing and Midwifery was established in the year 2018, and it is currently housed in SCOS. Such development has been possible due to the presence of a big and expansive space in the SCOS building.
The School has highly qualified and motivated staff both teaching and non-teaching. The school has a total of 49 Academic Staff. The school which started with ten (10) students, numbers have progressively increased to over five hundred (500) students distributed in all programmes at SCOS. The school has for the past 25 years passed 1818 graduates.
- Philosophy of SCOS
- To Provide Students with a Learning and Recreational Environment that Enables Inculcation of Confidence, Competence, Creativity and Character, all of which are essential for an individuals’ success and self-fulfillment in the society.
- To Impart Scientific Knowledge to Students and also get involved in Research activities and Publications to enhance the image of Nkumba University as a Centre of Academic and Professional Excellence at Regional and Global spheres.
- To offer relevant Knowledge and Skills in Scientific Fields for Sustainable Development.
Recent News & Events
Nkumba University is a private chartered University (Legal Notice No. 3 of 2007). The mission of Nkumba University is to provide an environment that... read more
Figure 1. The exchange students Mutesi Jacqueline and Annet Akankunda are flagged off by the International Collaborations Coordinator, Mr. Charles Kaggwa (Left), Academic Registrar... read more
Nkumba University, in conjunction with SESAC invite you to a webinar scheduled for 19th August 2021 on the theme: Security And Development in Uganda:... read more