Position: Academic Registrar
Professor Yiga has a wealth of knowledge, skills, and experience in Fine Art since 1975. His education in Fine Art in Uganda, Sweden, and United States of America culminated at Makerere University with a PhD in 1996. His academic experience spanned from 1978, where he taught and administered in various schools and colleges, to 1987 when he joined the faculty at Makerere University where he ended up serving until 2010, followed by the transfer of his services to Nkumba University from 1997 to the present. He was Dean of School of Industrial Art and Design and now, as you are aware, he is the Academic Registrar at Nkumba University, and has recently been elevated to the highest academic portfolio of a Full Professor. That is an experience of forty (40) years. Besides being an internationally recognized author of several publications and exhibitions in Fine Art, he presented papers at conferences and supervised many students who successfully pursued Master’s and PhD degrees both locally and abroad. He is an architect in the formulation and design of curricula for academic programmes in Fine Art, and an expert in the interpretation of the rapidly changing Art and Design. Among his many awards were plagues and certificates he received in recognition of his contribution to excellent works of Art.
Appointed Academic Registrar of Nkumba University – February 1, 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities
“The duties and responsibilities in accordance to Section 51 of the University Charter Notice 2007 are:
- The Academic Registrar shall assist the Vice Chancellor in the administration and organization of academic matters including admissions, undergraduate and postgraduate studies, examinations, research and publications, staff development and such other responsibilities as may be assigned to him/her by the Vice Chancellor.
- The Academic Registrar shall be the Secretary to the Senate and all its Committees.
- The Academic Registrar shall be responsible for the affairs of the Alumni Association.
- The Academic Registrar shall be reporting to the Vice Chancellor.”
- Promoted to the Rank of “Professor of Art and Design Education” in Nkumba University – October 19, 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities
“To hold the rank of a Professor in a University is a mark of academic growth and distinction. It is a position of leadership not only in academic pursuits but also in many other respects in the community. Therefore, in addition to your administrative role as the Academic Registrar, you will be required:
- To supervise Postgraduate Research for students.
- To promote knowledge in your field not only through teaching and other related activities but also through your original research and postgraduate work.
- To deliver scheduled and special lectures.
- To write proposals for funding research projects.
- Installed as full Professor of Art and Design Education in the School of Commercial, Industrial Art and Design, Nkumba University. Delivered a Professorial Inaugural Lecture entitled ‘Portraiture: Contextualising Visual Communication”. Date: April 26, 2019 at Nkumba University.